On September 9th, the Nebraska Supreme Court issued its ruling in favor of our workers compensation client, Chad A. Hofferber. Marks Clare & Richards attorneys Dirk V. Block and Steven J. Riekes successfully argued the case before the Nebraska Supreme Court.
For various reasons, Mr. Hofferber failed to cooperate with workers compensation treatment and rehabilitation, and his former employer and the workers compensation insurance carrier sought to dismiss Mr. Hofferber's workers compensation petition. The Nebraska Supreme Court found that it was improper for the workers compensation court to dismiss his petition with prejudice as the Nebraska state statutes do not authorize the compensation court to dismiss a petition as a sanction for a party's conduct either because an injured worker failed to cooperate with treatment or rehabilitation or as an exercise of contempt authority.
Omaha, Nebraska General Practice Law Firm
Representing clients throughout Nebraska since 1951
When faced with legal issues, whether related to your business or your personal life, you need an experienced lawyer—one with the sophistication and resources to handle your case, as well as personally guide you through the resolution of your issues. The attorneys at Marks Clare & Richards LLC offer a broad spectrum of legal services, including divorce and family law; business, estate, and tax planning; personal injury and medical malpractice; and workers compensation and employment matters.
A variety of attorneys offering a variety of legal practice areas
As each of our attorneys focuses on different practice areas, our firm is able to provide quality and dedicated representation to meet all of your legal needs, including the following:
- Divorce and family law—We work to resolve your divorce or family law problems such as filing for divorce, child custody, modifications, alimony, property division, business valuations, and other family concerns, including adoptions and name changes.
- Workers compensation and employment law—We pursue full workers compensation benefits for workers who suffer serious back and neck damage or other catastrophic injuries. In addition, we create employee manuals, negotiate and draft employment contracts and non-compete agreements, and handle other employment law issues. We also take employment discrimination cases, wage and hour claims, and wrongful termination suits.
- Tax planning—We assist clients with wealth transfer planning to minimize tax obligations. We also help with IRS audits, business transfers, business tax planning, charitable donations, income tax problems, and estate tax planning.
- Estate planning, wills, and probate—We help clients handle complex probate matters, assist with financial and healthcare planning, as well as the creation of trusts, wills, living wills, guardianships, powers of attorney, and more. In addition, we handle estate and trust litigation, and we are experienced in probate matters.
- Serious personal injury—Our personal injury lawyers in Omaha work to gain compensation for clients in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits involving trucking accidents, defective products, medical malpractice, train accidents, and auto accidents. When you are hurt by the negligent or reckless actions of another, an Omaha injury attorney from Marks Clare & Richards LLC can help.
- Medical malpractice—We hold medical professionals, hospitals, and nursing homes accountable for negligence that causes harm to others.
- Real estate—We offer sophisticated commercial real estate services, such as tax-free exchanges (Section 1031), commercial and residential real estate transactions, commercial leases, real estate development, and more.
- Business and commercial law—We offer business advice and services involving start-ups and formations, mergers, acquisitions, business planning, contracts, business transactions, tax liability, and other organizational needs.
- Mediation—We facilitate resolution of conflicts between parties through structured negotiation, thus avoiding the stress, risk, and expense of litigation.
- Criminal defense—We protect the rights and defend those accused of felonies, misdemeanors, driving under the influence (DUI), juvenile crimes, and other criminal acts.
- Grand Island
- North Platte
When you need an Omaha personal injury attorney
Our Omaha personal injury law firm knows that you are going through a difficult time. You may be in pain, have significant bills to pay, or have lost a job due to your injury.
When you suffer an injury caused by the negligence of someone else, a skilled injury attorney in Omaha from Marks Clare & Richards LLC can help you get back on track. We will fight for the fair compensation you deserve.
Serving our clients and the community for almost 60 years
Our law firm has been committed to our community and our clients since 1951. Many of our attorneys are alumni of the Creighton University School of Law. As such, we have continued to support the university throughout our years of practice as a symbol of our enthusiasm for furthering the legal education system.
Marks Clare & Richards LLC was recognized by the Nebraska State Bar Association with the first Robert M. Spire Pro Bono Award, which was presented in honor of our firm's selfless commitment to the belief in equal access to justice.
To discuss your legal matter with an experienced Marks Clare & Richards LLC attorney, call 402-492-9800 or contact us online. We represent clients throughout Nebraska, including the communities of—